Tuesday 5 April 2016

The Lost Art of the Mix CD

A few days ago I found a stack of mix CD's I made back in 2006, with embarrassing Clipart covers to boot... The track listings are mostly made up of bands who have all but disappeared from air play. In the era of digital music the mix CD has also all but disappeared, along with the cassette tape before it.


Do you still buy CD's? 
Do you still have a device to play CD's on?
Do you still buy music?

I do. I still buy CD's and, more recently, vinyl too. On Saturday afternoon I found myself sat in a pile of more than 300 CDs: looking at the cover art, unfolding the booklets, reading the thank yous. Some of them had posters enclosed. Posters!

If I like a band's music I will buy their album regardless of the cover... But if the cover is a work of art, I will buy it quicker.


As a music lover, one of my goals is to one day see my artwork on the cover of an album or EP. Since that day has yet to arrive, I've created some fun papercut covers with accompanying playlists. I like to think they're a significant step up from my Clipart days...


Playlist 1: Motivational

These songs are from a longer playlist I made in my final year of uni. Sit in front of a knitting machine for 6 hours a day and you'll be listening to The Cars on repeat too...
1. The Cars - Just What I Needed
2. ZZ Top – Cheap Sunglasses
3. Wolfmother – Vagabond
4. Fruit Bats – Dolly
5. King Charles – Bam Bam
6. Placebo – Every You Every Me
7. Rock N Roll Soldiers – Funny Little Feeling
8. Ellie Goulding – You My Everything
9. ELO – Sweet Talkin' Woman
10. Mumford and Sons – I Will Wait


Playlist 2: Love Songs of the 70s

I'm a sucker for a cheesy love song from the decade of flares and facial hair. Okay, so 2 of these songs are from the late 60s... I cheated. What you gonna do?
1. Andy Kim – Rock Me Gently
2. Eric Clapton – Layla
3. Little River Band – Reminiscing
4. The Zombies  - This Will Be Our Year
5. Nolan Porter – If I Could Only Be Sure
6. Frankie Miller – Fool In Love
7. Lou Reed – Satellite of Love
8. Fleetwood Mac – You Make Loving Fun
9. Led Zeppelin – Thank You
10. Paul Simon – Still Crazy After All These Years


Playlist 3: Trains/Traveling

During my uni years I frequently traveled up and down the country on busy trains. A longer version of this playlist saved my sanity on many a long journey...
1. The Horrors – Still Life
2. Led Zeppelin – No Quarter
3. Florence + the Machine – Breath of Life
4. The Boxer Rebellion – Spitting Fire
5. Simon & Garfunkel – America
6. Tame Impala – Alter Ego
7. Florence + the Machine - Shake It Out
8. Alt J – Something Good
9. Led Zeppelin – That’s The Way
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd – Simple Man

What CD's or playlists have you been listening to lately?

Until next week...

-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment